Removed invasive plants from ancient Hawaiian fish ponds in Kiholo
Walked on the Kilauea crater floor and seen it glow at night
And counted humpback whales and recorded their behavior (i.e. how many times they breach, spout, dive, and slap the water with their tail or pectoral fins every half hour) for NOAA
...
What a great shot! Perfect timing.
ReplyDeleteYou've been SO busy. When did you work for NOAA?
At the end of January, February and March, anyone can volunteer for NOAA to help with counting humpback whales in the sanctuary here. This shot was from the last Saturday in February. This winter was absolutely magical with all the whale encounters I had. While volunteering with a Nature Conservancy project addressing the impact of sewage on coral, a pod of 4 whales came right up to our boat. Then while working for the Kahalu'u Bay Education Center, one gave birth and taught her calf how to breach right outside the bay. It was incredible!
ReplyDeleteI don't think I realized how busy I was till I went diving today for the first time in a while. I was pretty motivated to network and get involved with as many things that fit my interests as possible.